Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Episode 3

     For someone who fancies himself to be technologically savvy, I sure haven’t had great luck with the real-time CD recorder in the studio. I managed to get the first hour of this morning’s show recorded, but was dismayed to learn at the end that I had neglected to push a button to start the recording of the second hour. Maybe I’ve been spoiled by consumer devices that feature one-touch-record features. Oh, well. There’s still the chance that I’ll have time to reconstruct the second hour without the PSA’s, program announcements, and on-mic filler (such as the stuff at the end of the show where I waxed poetic about the historical significance of Allen Toussaint). The morning’s only snafu was my mis-announcing the name of the Eric Matthews album: I said “It’s Heavy in Here” when I should have said “The Lateness of the Hour.” That mistake is, of course, corrected below.
     If you missed the show, I think you missed something special. I managed to keep it 90% downtempo, and I loved it. If you listened, I hope you did, too. (And, no, Peter, I didn’t play that Pink Floyd thing.) My heart leapt momentarily around 3:15 when the phone rang, but it turned out to be MLK, the next DJ, arriving much earlier than she normally does. Sigh. I guess there really isn’t anybody out there....

  • 2:00–3:00 a.m.:
  • Icehouse, “Icehouse,” Icehouse, Chrysalis
  • Junior Boys, “Three Words,” Last Exit, Domino
  • Opus III, “Stars in My Pocket,” Mind Fruit, EastWest
  • Kings of Convenience, “Know-How,” Riot on an Empty Street, Astralwerks
  • Feist, “Gatekeeper,” Let It Die, Polydor
  • Eric Matthews, “Since the Wheel Free,” The Lateness of the Hour, Sub Pop
  • Mercury Rev, “Across Yer Ocean,” The Secret Migration, V2
  • Replacements, “Swinging Party,” Tim, Sire
  • Red House Painters, “Drop,” Ocean Beach, 4AD
  • Mountain Goats, “Game Shows Touch Our Lives,” Tallahassee, 4AD
  • The Album Leaf, “Story Board,” One Day I’ll Be on Time, Tiger Style
  • Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions, “Suzanne,” Bavarian Fruit Bread, Rough Trade

  • 3:00–4:00 a.m.:
  • Split Enz, “One Step Ahead,” Waiata, Mushroom
  • Piano Magic, “Saint Marie,” The Troubled Sleep of Piano Magic, Green UFOs
  • Durutti Column, “Tomorrow,” Bread & Circuses, Crepuscule
  • Everything but the Girl, “No Difference,” Temperamental, Atlantic
  • Spiritualized, “I Think I’m in Love,” Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space, Arista
  • Aluminum Group, “We’re Both Hiding,” Happyness, Wishing Tree
  • Paul Weller, “The Strange Museum,” Paul Weller, Polydor
  • The Sea and Cake, “Seemingly,” Oui, Thrill Jockey
  • Al Green, “Simply Beautiful,” I’m Still in Love with You, Hi
  • Allen Toussaint, “Southern Nights,” The Complete Warner Recordings, Rhino

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a playlist! If only I hadn't had class at 9:00 this morning. Please let me know if you find a way to make your recording available, as I'd love to hear the first hour.
Hey, have you heard this Flunk group? I've only heard a couple songs, but they're pretty good.