Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Episode 6

     Another one down. I wasn’t too sure how it would turn out, but a couple of last-minute substitutions made it all work in the end. Thanks to the caller (Seth?) who told me both that he dug the Pavement track and that its placement in the flow of songs worked for him. Just when I don’t think I need validation, it arrives and is as welcome as tonight’s summer-like temperature.
     This was perhaps my first glitch-free show: I made all the fades I wanted to, had all the tracks I needed at my disposal, and even managed to record the whole show without a hitch. Rumor has it the CD recorder’s on the fritz, though. If it’s not, Melissa will in fact be able to hear how and where I placed the Combustible Edison tune she turned me on to, George will get to judge how well the Apartments adapted Robert Lowell’s adaptation of Baudelaire’s “Au Lecteur” (from Fleurs du Mal) and Pedro will be gratified to know that I would not have come to hear and love Mice Parade were it not for his open ears.
     (I wonder whether the beds at the Big O Motel are as comfy as the one this tired DJ is about to climb into ....)

  • 12:00–1:00 a.m.:
  • Combustible Edison, “52,” Schizophonic, Sub Pop
  • Awry, “Earplugs,” Quiet B Sides, AwrySense
  • Goldfrapp, “Horse Tears,” Felt Mountain, Mute
  • Calexico, “Si Tu Disais,” Convict Pool, Quarterstick
  • Aterciopelados, “Transparente,” Gozo Poderoso, BMG
  • Rasputina, “Sign of the Zodiac,” How We Quit the Forest, Columbia
  • M. Ward, “Hi-Fi,” Transistor Radio, Merge
  • Pavement, “Stare,” Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA’s Desert Origins, Matador
  • Jandek, “Mostly All from You,” Chair Beside a Window, Corwood
  • Tim Buckley, “I Had a Talk with My Woman,” Lorca, Elektra
  • The Hope Blister, “Hanky Panky Nohow,” … Smile’s OK, 4AD
  • Jeff Buckley, “Opened Once,” Sketches for My Sweetheart, the Drunk, Columbia
  • Twilight Singers, “The Killer,” Blackberry Belle, One Little Indian

  • 1:00–2:00 a.m.:
  • Clinic, “The Equaliser,” Walking with Thee, Domino
  • Jesus and Mary Chain, “Sowing Seeds,” Psychocandy, Blanco y Negro
  • Mazzy Star, “ She Hangs Brightly,” She Hangs Brightly, Capitol
  • The Style Council, “The Story of Someone’s Shoe,” Confessions of a Pop Group, Geffen
  • Pinback, “Bloods on Fire,” Summer in Abaddon, Touch & Go
  • Apartments, “Welcome to Walsh World,” Apart, Hot
  • Colin Newman, “We Meet Under Tables,” Not To, 4AD
  • Siouxsie & the Banshees, “Happy House,” Kaleidoscope, Geffen
  • Mice Parade, “Open Air Dance Pt. 4,” All Roads Lead to Salzburg, Bubble Core
  • Love, “You Set the Scene,” Forever Changes, Elektra
  • Tarnation, “Big O Motel,” Gentle Creatures, 4AD

1 comment:

J. said...

I'm glad you played Aterciopelados. Are you much of a Pinback fan?