Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Episode 10

     More than ever, I really want to hear whether what I played this morning was anywhere near what I intended. What it was, I’m not sure. In the end, it might have been inspired. The CD-Rs will tell....
     Why I am so concerned about this morning’s show?
     Well, Monday night, time got away from me as I sat in front of the stereo, trying out a few more things for the show—with the result that I found myself madly dashing out the door to make it to the station on time. I did make it ... but without my skeletal playlist and without six CDs I wanted to play. Sadly, none of those discs were in the station’s library, so I had to improvise. Thus, my normally well-thought out show gave way to something different. Better?
     (For reasons I am not at liberty to disclose, my show was 45 minutes longer this morning. That is why, if you were wondering, there’s a nearly complete fourth hour below. Oh, yeah, one more thing: I know what the songs I missed were. Expect them to figure prominently in the next show.)

  • 12:00–1:00 a.m.:
  • Fela, “Water No Get Enemy,” Expensive Shit, Shanachie
  • Joanna Newsom, “Swansea,” The Milk-Eyed Mender, Drag City
  • Tanya Donelly, “Butterfly Thing,” Whiskey Tango Ghosts, 4AD
  • Anja Garbarek, “The Diver,” Smiling and Waving, Virgin
  • Jim White, “The Wrong Kind of Love,” No Such Place, Luaka Bop
  • Roxy Music, “Triptych,” Country Life, Virgin
  • Hanne Hukkelberg, “Cast Anchor,” Cast Anchor (EP), Leaf
  • Sun Kil Moon, “Carry Me Ohio,” Ghosts of the Great Highway, Jet Set
  • Feist, “Lonely Lonely,” Let It Die, Polydor

  • 1:00–2:00 a.m.:
  • Me’shell Ndegéocello, “Aquarium,” Spirit Music Jamia: Dance of the Infidel, Shanachie
  • Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, “Language of Violence,” Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury, 4th & B’way
  • This Mortal Coil, “Barramundi,” It’ll End in Tears, 4AD
  • Bill Withers, “Lovely Day,” Menagerie, CBS
  • Ron Sexsmith, “Whatever It Takes,” Retriever, Nettwerk
  • Wilco, “Reservations,” Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Nonesuch
  • X, “True Love, Part #2,” More Fun in the New World, Elektra
  • Broken Social Scene, “Looks Just Like the Sun,” You Forgot It in People, Arts & Crafts
  • Minutemen, “History Lesson, Part II,” Double Nickels on the Dime, SST
  • Isley Brothers, “Voyage to Atlantis,” Go for Your Guns, T-Neck
  • Violet Indiana, “Killer Eyes,” Roulette, Bella Union
  • Spoon, “My Mathematical Mind,” Gimme Fiction, Merge

  • 2:00–3:00 a.m.:
  • Tears for Fears, “Ideas as Opiates,” The Hurting, Mercury
  • Aztec Camera, “We Could Send Letters,” High Land, Hard Rain, Sire/Reprise
  • Beth Orton, “Ted’s Waltz,” Daybreaker, Astralwerks
  • The Russian Futurists, “The Science of the Seasons,” The Method of Modern Love, Upper Class
  • Caribou, “Lord Leopard,” The Milk of Human Kindness, Domino
  • The Flaming Lips, “Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitis),” Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Warner Bros.
  • R.E.M., “Perfect Circle,” Murmur, IRS
  • American Music Club, “I’ve Been a Mess,” Mercury, Reprise
  • Colin Newman, “I Can Hear Your...,” Commercial Suicide, Crammed
  • Magazine, “The Light Pours Out of Me,” Real Life, Caroline
  • Talk Talk, “Tomorrow Started,” It’s My Life, EMI
  • Giardini di Mirò, “Trompsø Is OK,” Rise and Fall of Academic Drifting, Homesleep

  • 3:00–3:45 a.m.:
  • Red House Painters, “Medicine Bottle,” Down Colorful Hill, 4AD
  • Sybarite, “The Fourth Day,” Nonument, 4AD
  • David Sylvian, “Wave,” Gone to Earth, Virgin
  • The Album Leaf, “The Outer Banks,” In a Safe Place, Sub Pop
  • David Thomas, “What Happened to Me,” Monster Walks the Winter Lake, Twin Tone
  • Aluminum Group, “We’re Both Hiding,” Happyness, Wishing Tree
  • Systems Officer, “Signature Red,” Systems Officer, Ace Fu

No comments: