Thursday, February 16, 2006

Episode 25

     After the whimper that was the anniversary/love song show (I’ve heard nary a peep in response to it), this morning’s show was probably a welcome return to form for some listeners. As those who heard my on-air commentary know (or those who are savvy in scanning the playlist could determine), this episode was spiked with new releases. I think they fit in nicely among the other items included. And who knows? Maybe the one regular listener whose eyes roll back in her head at the mention of one group in the list might revise her thoughts about them. But I won’t hold my breath.
     While the sidebar says the next show will be on 2 March, I have yet to determine when the next show will take place. More than likely, there’ll be a sub in my regular slot two weeks’ hence, for it would be difficult for me to make it back from the Logan Square Auditorium, where Mogwai are performing on 1 March, in time for a midnight show. Once everything is sorted out, I’ll post a clarifying note here. So check back often. And keep your ears open: there are even more exciting things coming soon....

  • 12:00–1:00 a.m.:
  • Mogwai, “Hunted by a Freak,” Happy Songs for Happy People, Matador
  • His Name Is Alive, “You Need a Heart,” Detrola, Silver Mountain
  • Sam Phillips, “Soul Eclipse,” Fan Dance, Nonesuch
  • Depeche Mode, “I Want It All,” Playing the Angel, Sire/Reprise
  • Ryan Adams, “Sweet Lil Gal (23rd/1st),” Heartbreaker, Bloodshot
  • Cody ChesnuTT, “Up in the Treehouse,” The Headphone Masterpiece, Ready Set Go
  • Saint Etienne, “Avenue,” So Tough, Warner Brothers
  • Slowdive, “She Calls,” Morningrise EP, Creation
  • Bow Wow Wow, “Mile High Club,” I Want Candy, RCA
  • Belle & Sebastian, “Song for Sunshine,” The Life Pursuit, Matador
  • Anja Garbarek, “The Gown,” Smiling & Waving, Virgin
  • Talk Talk, “April 5th,” The Colour of Spring, EMI

  • 1:00–2:00 a.m.:
  • The Dukes of Stratosphear, “25 O’Clock,” Chips from the Chocolate Fireball, Geffen
  • Piano Magic, “Already Ghosts,” Writers without Homes, 4AD
  • Low, “Shame,” Long Division, Vernon Yard
  • Mazzy Star, “Take Everything,” Among My Swan, Capitol
  • Nick Drake, “River Man,” Five Leaves Left, Hannibal
  • Felt, “All the People I Like Are Those That Are Dead,” Forever Breathes the Lonely Word, Cherry Red
  • The Smiths, “I Don’t Owe You Anything,” The Smiths, Sire
  • The Russian Futurists, “These Seven Notes,” Our Thickness, Upper Class
  • Self, “Ilovetoloveyourlovemylove,” Gizmodgery, Spongebath
  • Stereolab, “Hallucinex,” Sound-Dust, Elektra
  • Cat Power, “Willie,” The Greatest, Matador
  • Beth Orton, “Pieces of Sky,” Comfort of Strangers, Astralwerks

1 comment:

Bike Drool said...

I'm not usually an Insomniac, but it is snowing outside, and that means tomorrow is going to stink... so I might as well stay up!