Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Episode 42

     Today, it seems, the grind of weekly shows is finally starting to wear on me. Or maybe I’m still suffering from the effects of being outdoors in greater-than-95° weather for two days this past weekend at the Pitchfork Music Festival. And, as if the drain of the weekend wasn’t enough, people in the Chicago area know that the heat will continue sucking the life out of us all for at least another 36 hours (it was still near 88° when I walked to the studio at 11:30!).
     For me, in comparison to last year’s event, this year’s occasion for hipsters to roast in the sun (the aforementioned festival) was underwhelming. Were it not for surprisingly good sets by Diplo, Glenn Kotche, the Chicago Underground Duo, Os Mutantes, Yo La Tengo, Destroyer and Aesop Rock & Mr. Lif (the first three of which were in the small tent), I might have come away wanting my weekend back (for the record, I missed Jens Lekman). I haven’t yet gotten my hands on the latest recordings by the acts I really dug at the festival, so expect to hear more from them in the coming weeks. On this episode only one group from the festival is included: Mission of Burma. I joked to one of the guys in the small party that I hung with for both days that MoB’s spirited performance provided inspiration for middle-aged punks everywhere. Then again, Yo La Tengo’s did the same for aging “alternakids.”
     As for the rest of this morning’s show, what can I say that I haven’t said already about previous episodes? If I were to point out how strangely effective following Kris Kristofferson with P.J. Harvey was, you would recognize the conceit. The same would be true if I observed that the choice of tracks by Kristofferson, Curve, the 19.5 Collective, Iris DeMent, Big Star and Morsel was the result of my getting reacquainted with my home CD library. There is one new thing I can say: next week will feature a lot of great new stuff (that is if all of the deliveries make it to my apartment by next Monday). Stay tuned....

  • 12:00–1:00 a.m.:
  • Scheer, “Babysize,” Infliction, 4AD
  • Russian Futurists, “Pine Prisonyard,” Method of Modern Love, Upper Class
  • Mission of Burma, “Einstein’s Day,” Vs., Rykodisc
  • Aden, “Left Off Here,” Black Cow, Teenbeat
  • Elliott Smith, “Christian Brothers,” Elliott Smith, Kill Rock Stars
  • The Posies, “Mrs. Green,” Dear 23, Geffen
  • Green on Red, “Over My Head,” Gravity Talks, Warner Brothers
  • Curve, “Sandpit,” Doppelgänger, Charisma
  • The Glove, “Sex-Eye-Make-Up,” Blue Sunshine, Polydor
  • Rickie Lee Jones, “Scary Chinese Movie,” Ghostyhead, Reprise
  • Pet Shop Boys, “Later Tonight,” Please, EMI
  • Gema y Pável, “Noche de Ronda,” Cosa de Broma, Nubenegra/Intuition

  • 1:00–2:00 a.m.:
  • Iris DeMent, “Easy’s Gettin’ Harder Every Day,” My Life, Warner Brothers
  • The Delgados, “Coming in from the Cold,” Hate, Minty Fresh
  • Daníel Ágúst, “Sparks Fly,” Swallowed a Star, One Little Indian
  • Trembling Blue Stars, “Snow Showers,” Broken by Whispers, Sub Pop
  • Brian McBride, “Our Last Moment in Song,” When the Detail Lost Its Freedom, Kranky
  • Le Volume Courbe, “Harmony,” I Killed My Best Friend, Honest Jon’s
  • Cass McCombs, “Equinox,” PREfection, Monitor/4AD
  • Kris Kristofferson, “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down,” Kristofferson, Monument
  • P.J. Harvey, “The Garden,” Is This Desire?, Island
  • Brookville, “Break Yourself,” Life in the Shade, Unfiltered
  • The 19.5 Collective, “This Isn’t Jupiter,” The 19.5 Collective, Planet Ant
  • Matthew Herbert, “Waste Land,” Plat du Jour, Accidental

  • 2:00–3:00 a.m.:
  • Sufjan Stevens, “Sister,” Seven Swans, Asthmatic Kitty
  • Rachel Goswell, “Plucked,” Waves Are Universal, 4AD
  • Anja Garbarek, “Beyond My Control,” Balloon Mood, RCA
  • Ryan Adams, “Wild Flowers,” Gold, Lost Highway
  • Crowded House, “Kare Kare,” Together Alone, Capitol
  • Morsel, “Wreck,” I’m a Wreck, Small Stone
  • Sol Seppy, “A to N,” The Bells of 1 2, Gronland
  • This Mortal Coil, “Come Here, My Love/At First, and Then,” Filigree & Shadow, 4AD
  • Asobi Seksu, “Red Sea,” Citrus, Friendly Fire
  • Lloyd Cole, “My Other Life,” Music in a Foreign Language, One Little Indian
  • Big Star, “Dream Lover,” Third/Sister Lovers, Ryko

No comments: