Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Episode 2

The latest show has been put to bed, and hopefully I’ll be able to do the same for my body in the next few minutes. Unfortunately, I got no callers this morning, but maybe that'll change in the future. Maybe as a joke I can play that short track from The Wall, “Is There Anybody Out There?” next time round. Perhaps that’ll be the question that gets a ringing answer....
     In my rush to get to the station on time, I forgot a few CDs and my blank CDRs. Thus, I didn’t record the show--so you’ll have to use your imagination to fill in what I might have said between songs. But do you really listen to radio to hear what the DJ says? Besides, I don’t think this show was as inspired as the last. Best to have no audible record of the decline.

  • 2:00–3:00 a.m.:
  • Dusty Springfield, “Just a Little Lovin’,” Dusty in Memphis, Atlantic
  • Everything but the Girl, “Sugar Finney,” Baby, the Stars Shine Bright, Sire/Warner Brothers
  • Feist, “Let It Die,” Let It Die, Polydor
  • Ron Sexsmith, “Seem to Recall,” Whereabouts, Interscope
  • Dresden Dolls, “Coin-Operated Boy,” Dresden Dolls, 8 Ft.
  • Marianne Faithfull, “City of Quartz,” Before the Poison, Anti
  • Emmylou Harris, “Wrecking Ball,” Wrecking Ball, Warner Brothers
  • Bright Eyes, “Land-Locked Blues,” I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning, Saddle Creek
  • Low, “Cue the Strings,” The Great Destroyer, Sub Pop
  • Delgados, “Thirteen Gliding Principles,” The Great Eastern, Mantra
  • Talk Talk, “Desire,” Spirit of Eden, Nettwerk
  • Blur, “Strange News from Another Star,” Blur, Virgin

  • 3:00–4:00 a.m.:
  • Múm, “The Land Between Solar Systems,” Finally We Are No One, Fat Cat
  • Hooverphonic, “Renaissance Affair,” Blue Wonder Power Milk, Epic
  • Single Gun Theory, “From a Million Miles,” Like Stars in Our Hands, Nettwerk
  • Saint Etienne, “Only Love Can Break Your Heart,” Foxbase Alpha, Warner Brothers
  • Paco, “Satie,” This Is Where We Live, Unfiltered
  • The Incredible Moses Leroy, “The 4A,” Become the Soft.Lightes, iMusic
  • Matt Pond PA, “Holiday Road,” Winter Songs (EP), Altitude
  • Chris Bell, “Better Save Yourself,” I Am the Cosmos, Ryko
  • Big Star, “Thank You, Friends,” Third/Sister Lovers, Ryko
  • Big Star, “Big Black Car,” Third/Sister Lovers, Ryko
  • My Morning Jacket, “Steam Engine,” It Still Moves, ATO

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wait for the moment when I too can listen to ear candy...sigh...so maybe NYC isn't the center of the universe anymore. Congrats, may your show live long and prosper! :) JR

Anonymous said...

You could also play the Scissor Sisters' cover of the Floyd track! Or at least part of it -- it does run kind of long.
Sorry I missed your second show. Next time, I'll stay awake and call in.

taj said...

Scissor Sisters, eh? Aren’t they that neo-disco group whose star and press coverage are both rising? They’ve done a cover of a Pink Floyd tune? Oh, wait, I just finished downloading a sample.

..... (listening)

I see. They do all of “Comfortably Numb.” I was thinking more of the brief portion on disc 2 (?) of The Wall where you hear only the question. But this single is infectious, in part for its nods to other, now kitschy, dance music (FGTH’s “Relax,” the Bee Gees’ “Stayin’ Alive”). Maybe I can snip it up and burn it onto a CD. Anything more and I might try the patience of the two or three people listening. As it is, they probably think the songs by Single Gun Theory and Saint Etienne yesterday were a bit much....