Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Joy of Mercury Rev and Dave Fridmann

     Yesterday’s mini-Dave Fridmann set (Low and the Delgados) was a compensatory, stop-gap measure. What I really wanted to do was to play tracks from the forthcoming release by Mercury Rev: The Secret Migration. Fridmann is a former member of the group and is still remarkably important in helping to craft their sonic identity.
     Earlier, I wrapped my ears around a track or two from that album, and I’ll say only this. 30 seconds in I was logging onto Amazon to order the import version. The album, inexplicably, is out in Great Britain, but won’t be released Stateside until May. With any luck my copy will arrive in time for the 8 March show. And then you can hear what I’m trying not to gush about.
     There unfortunately aren’t any song samples available for download from the band’s web page, but with any luck you’ll get a little taste less than two weeks from now....

No comments: