Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Episode 29

     This has been a particularly exhausting time in ECI-land. For the third week straight, I’ve put together a three-hour show. I keep wondering when I’ll run out of items in my personal CD library to play on air. Somehow, though, every time I sit down to start plotting out a show, I find more than enough songs that will tickle my ears and yours for the duration of the show. (Yes, I know I could use the station’s library, but where would the challenge be in that? Besides much of what I like to program isn’t on offer in it.)
     On this morning’s show, I got to a few things that I’ve been wanting to play for a while, but for various reasons wasn’t able to fit into the program. Among them was the Pat Metheny track, which I had intended to play (I believe) back in January, but the station’s CD players apparently had different ideas then. For a long time, I’ve also wanted to play something by the Jacobites and, upon learning of Nikki Sudden’s death last week, figured it was time actually to do so. The Jacobites remind me of the early and mid-1980s, when I spent most of my time listening to WRVU-FM from Vanderbilt University in my hometown. Waxing nostalgic about those years led me back to one of the other artists I heard there frequently: the Nashville-based songwriter, singer and guitarist Bill Lloyd. Just thinking about him (and other artists like Will Rambeaux) meant that I had to program his best-known tune.
     The schedule for the spring quarter is still being put together, but should start next week. I’ve put my requests in. Now I just have to wait to see what comes out. Soon all will know....

  • 12:00–1:00 a.m.:
  • Blur, “Oily Water,” Modern Life Is Rubbish, SBK
  • Laura Veirs, “Snow Camping,” Carbon Glacier, Nonesuch
  • Sia, “Moon,” Colour the Small One, Astralwerks
  • Nine Horses, “Darkest Birds,” Snow Borne Sorrow, Samadhi Sound
  • David Bowie, “Rebel, Rebel,” Diamond Dogs, Virgin
  • Chris Bell, “I Am the Cosmos,” I Am the Cosmos, Ryko
  • Jacobites, “Silver Street,” Jacobites, Glass
  • Tanya Donelly, “Golden Mean,” Whiskey Tango Ghosts, 4AD
  • Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins, “You Are What You Love,” Rabbit Fur Coat, Team Love
  • Sublux, “Memory of Rain,” Nothing That Is Still, Selective Focus
  • Pat Metheny and David Bowie, “This Is Not America,” The Falcon and the Snowman—Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, EMI
  • Blonde Redhead, “Hated Because of Great Qualities,” Misery of Certain Damaged Lemons, Touch and Go

  • 1:00–2:00 a.m.:
  • Prince, “The Word,” 3121, NPG
  • Bill Lloyd, “Feeling the Elephant,” Feeling the Elephant, DB
  • Neko Case, “Star Witness,” Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, Anti
  • Catherine Irwin, “Power of My Love,” Cut Yourself a Switch, Thrill Jockey
  • Electrelane, “The Valleys,” The Power Out, Too Pure
  • The Sea and Cake, “The Leaf,” Oui, Thrill Jockey
  • M. Ward, “Paul’s Song,” Transistor Radio, Merge
  • Frou Frou, “Breathe In,” Details, MCA
  • Esthero, “That Girl,” Breath from Another, Work
  • Gomez, “1000 Times,” In Our Gun, Virgin
  • Prefab Sprout, “The Ice Maiden/Paris Smith,” Jordan: The Comeback, Epic
  • Sondre Lerche and the Faces Down Quartet, “Nightingales,” Duper Sessions, Astralwerks

  • 2:00–3:00 a.m.:
  • The Cure, “At Night,” Seventeen Seconds, Fiction
  • Split Enz, “Six Months in a Leaky Boat,” Time and Tide, Mushroom
  • Modern English, “Dawn Chorus,” After the Snow, 4AD
  • Talking Heads, “Drugs,” Fear of Music, Sire
  • Vortex Original Soundtrack, “Black Box Disco,” New York Noise, Vol. 2: Music from the New York Underground, 1977–1984, Soul Jazz
  • Sufjan Stevens, “Vito’s Ordination Song,” Greetings from Michigan, The Great Lake State, Asthmatic Kitty
  • Stereolab, “Excursions into ‘Oh, A-Oh,’” Fab Four Suture, Pure
  • Mercury Rev, “Tides of the Moon,” All Is Dream, V2
  • The Style Council, “The Paris Match,” Introducing the Style Council, Polydor
  • Emiliana Torrini, “Thinking Out Loud,” Fisherman’s Woman, Rough Trade
  • Cocteau Twins, “Pink Orange Red,” Tiny Dynamine, 4AD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Travis,
I live in NashVegas, and am actually a native. I was in high school and college in the 80s in Nashville and Knoxville, and have been trying in vain to get a copy of a single Will Rambeaux and the Delta Hurricanes did titled "Jenny drives a Mustang". I think they maybe even cut an EP--this would have been around '83-84, as I remember seeing them at the Bluebird in the summer of '84, and the Sutler, and so on around the same time. Any suggestions? Thanks! RockZan

taj said...

RockZan,
I remember that song, but unfortunately don't have it anywhere, not even on vinyl. I'll be in the radio station on Tuesday next week and will see whether there's a copy in there that I might borrow. I've had good luck with finding things by other Nashville groups that I didn't expect to see in the library (e.g., Raging Fire, Jet Black Factory, etc.), so keep your fingers crossed.... Travis